Re: comparison -- locales with ispell dictionaries

Subject: Re: comparison -- locales with ispell dictionaries
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 01:26:14 CST

vlad> Hmm, as I understand, aspell is an advanced spell checker that
vlad> learns what mistakes user makes and suggests most probable
vlad> replacements. So, the information about user mistakes should
vlad> aggregate while the AW is running. This means that either that

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it would seriously
complicate the conversation between the two processes. I'm assuming
this learning of mistakes must be triggered by a user making a
correction to a misspelled word.

vlad> pspell (an interface to pspell and aspel) is compiled into the
vlad> AW, or these spell checkers are used via pipes. Due to
vlad> portability issues pipes may not be an option (I'm not
vlad> absolutely sure though) - so the only choice is compiling in,
vlad> alas.

I agree that IPC would likely be platform specific implementations,
but aren't those technologies pretty well understood for our platforms
by now? (Understood by someone ... not necessarily all by one
person.)

Ah, well, at this point unless some eager beaver tears into this, it's
probably not the short road to straightening out spell-checking.