Re: Header-footer editing problems

Subject: Re: Header-footer editing problems
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 08:30:08 CST

HI Rob,
        the edittable headers and footers has a lot of issues that I'm
still grappling with.

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 rob.campbell@att.net wrote:

> I downloaded the nightly build in order to try out the
> new header & footer editing capabilities. I have
> encountered a few problems so far:
>
> (1) When I insert a page number in the header, it
> appears at the very top of the page. There is no margin.

This is a bug in the pagesetup dialog in the Windows front end. The code
to adjust the header/footer margins is in place and the is connected
correctly in the Unix front end. I logged this bug about the Windows
Dialog in bugzilla.

> (2) After inserting a page number in either the header
> or footer, the cursor is placed in the main body of the
> document. Clicking in the header/footer (as if to edit
> it) and then clicking in the main body crashes AbiWord.
> Dr. Wastson reports: "Exception: access violation
> (0xc0000005), Address: 0x00455007". A large (11.5 MB)
> dump file is created, which I can try to send if anyone
> is interested. On a positive note, the basic editing
> features do work, until you move back to the main body.

Hmm this is strange. This works fine in Unix. I wonder what the issue is?

> (3) This next item is related to a Tab bug, which I will
> elaborate on in a later e-mail. For now, I'll just say
> that AbiWord does not handle right-aligned tabs at the
> right hand edge of the document properly. In the case
> of a footer, it will lock up AbiWord.
>
> After styles, header & footer editing is the feature I
> most look forward to. I hope that this feedback is
> helpful. And thanks for all the work so far.

Thanks Rob. We will fix this and get styles going over the next 2 weeks I
think.

Cheers

Martin