Re: Mistake in http://www.abisource.com/faquser.phtml

Subject: Re: Mistake in http://www.abisource.com/faquser.phtml
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 06:35:56 CST

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Kevin Vajk wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, WJCarpenter wrote:
>
> > Somebody please refresh my memory on why this isn't enabled by
> > default? Is there some harm to novices that comes of enabling this
> > power user feature?
>
> If they accidentally pressed F12, they might get very confused.
> I've seen people get similarly confused by accidentally pressing the
> "Insert" key, and that's *standard* behavior.

Speaking of which I think we should add a preference item "disable
overstrike mode". I hate that "insert" key thing. Maybe overstrike should
be disabled by default.

I know word enables overstrike by hitting "insert" but that always seemed
incorrect behaviour to me.

Another option would be a pop-up dialog, "Do you really want to go to
overstrike mode?" though that would probabally annoy power users it
would help the 98% of the people who never use it.

Cheers

Martin