Re: insert/overwrite mode

Subject: Re: insert/overwrite mode
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 15:18:11 CST

At 03:46 PM 3/3/01 -0000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>> Speaking of which I think we should add a preference item "disable
>> overstrike mode". I hate that "insert" key thing. Maybe overstrike should
>> be disabled by default.
>>
>> I know word enables overstrike by hitting "insert" but that always seemed
>> incorrect behaviour to me.
>>
>> Another option would be a pop-up dialog, "Do you really want to go to
>> overstrike mode?" though that would probabally annoy power users it
>> would help the 98% of the people who never use it.
>
>I would hate to see the pop-up dialogue, I actually find the
>overwriting mode quite useful time from time :-), so if something
>needs to be done about it, I vote for the Preferences option (having
>it disabled by default is fine by me).

I agree that a Preference item for the underlying "InsertModeToggle" is
better than an in-your-face dialog. (That sounds too paper-clip-like for me.)
However, given how everybody else's WPs work, I think we should continue to
leave the default on. Too many people expect that behavior.

>The other thing that we might
>also consider is changing the appearance of the carret in the
>overwrtie mode (screeming red?).

Hmm. That's an interesting idea. Can anyone think of other GUI precedents
for this? Off the cuff, the only place I can remember seeing that style of
GUI feedback is in the DOS command shell (shudder).

Paul