Re: reminder -- eight spaces != tab

Subject: Re: reminder -- eight spaces != tab
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@cambridge.redhat.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 09:52:07 CST

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Rohr <paul@abisource.com> writes:

Paul> I don't mean to be glib. I'm very interested in a permanent
Paul> solution for this problem. For example, would it make life
Paul> easier for emacs folks if, instead of doing Jesper's defun

It's not about emacs. It's beyond easy to set up emacs to do the right
thing. This is a problem of some people not having seen the light,
sticking to other types of non-kitchen-sink-compliant editors :)

Paul> abi-c-mode trick, we instead followed the Mozilla precedent of
Paul> adding something like the following as the first line of every
Paul> file?

Paul> /* -*- c-basic-offset: 4; tab-width: 4; indent-tabs-mode: t -*-
Paul> */

Only emacs will care about this so you accomplish nothing. The problem
is non-emacs users (and emacs users who don't RTFM - they'd be messing
up the on other coding guidelines anyway).

Paul> I'd certainly have no objection to a solution like this. The
Paul> experience of editing the Abi sources should Just Work, too.

That's never going to happen until we have some way of enforcing a
style.

That's what I tried to work on a while back - and I think some hours
hacking on indent would actually get us the style you advocate.

But I've lost the drive on that issue so someone else would have to
hack indent [and set up a special make rule that runs it over all the
sources, and bitches if it finds violations - put it into tinderbox
and we should be golden].

Jesper