Re: AP framework weakness

Subject: Re: AP framework weakness
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 14:58:43 CST

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 08:34:43PM +0000, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> I'm currently analyzing the ap framework to know what I have to do
> for the Mac port.
>
> I mostly compare beOS and UNIX port, and find that there are too much
> similarities.
>
> For example, compare
> AP_BeOSFrame::loadDocument
> and
> AP_UnixFrame::loadDocument
>
> and you'll find that they are ALMOST identical: only the frame class
> is different, but since they both come from the same incestor, there
> should be no problem at all.

Yes, moving this stuff to XP code is an excellent idea. There's just
one potential problem, which I am not sure if we need to worry about.
If moving these functions to XP code would require RTTI (real time
type identification) then that would be bad, since RTTI is not
particularly well supported by compilers, and can be significantly
slower. But again, I'll have to dig through my copy of Stroustrup to
figure this out.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/