Re: Multi-Paragraph Headers and footers?

Subject: Re: Multi-Paragraph Headers and footers?
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 11:27:15 CST

At 06:27 PM 3/6/01 +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
>I think to make further progress with fixing the various bugs associated
>with this I will have to format the overall hdrftrSectionLayout. Since
>this SectionLayout does not have an associated fp_Container this in turn
>will require lots of surgury and bug squashing. I think this could
>eventually be made to work.

Maybe this is obvious, but *why* isn't there an associated fp_Container?
Would it simplify your bug squashing to have one?

I must admit that I never grokked the whole shadow concept, but all the
troubles you're running into suggest that Eric's original classes may not
have been designed with editing in mind. You'll know you've gotten the
refactoring right when the design makes it easy to do everything you want.

Conceptually, headers and footers should just be another kind of container
that the layout algorithms use when constructing pages. Their contents
don't reflow to other pages -- instead, they expand to allow their contents
to fit, stealing space from the body of the page.

>So what does you think? Is it worth the time and potential instablities to
>do multi-paragraph headers and footers?

Yes. That's what people expect.

Paul,
using up another $.02