Re: Win32 performance results

Subject: Re: Win32 performance results
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 16:16:13 CST

At 10:54 AM 3/7/01 -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:
>>> Can we do something about all the calls to GR_Graphics::remapGlyph?
>>> It calls XAP_Prefs::getCurrentScheme and XAP_App::getPrefs twice
>>> for each invocation.
>
>paul> These both sound like places where some intelligent caching
>paul> could help. Of course, all of the usual cache maintenance
>paul> caveats apply.

Bill,

Nice summary of how to cache the *results* of remapGlyphs at the run level
so it doesn't need to be called so often.

In the mean time, I was actually thinking it might be worth updating the
existing logic to cache the results of those Prefs calls, since the specific
Prefs used vary rarely, if at all, during a session. However, I have no
idea whether we'd want the GR_Graphics class to have a prefs listener to
invalidate this cache. Of course if remapGlyphs gets called rarely, then
this optimization isn't needed.

Just a suggestion.

Paul
motto -- your code, your call

PS: Speaking of remapGlyphs, did you notice the leak I mentioned in the
following thread?