Re: help wanted -- any MTA gurus on this list?

Subject: Re: help wanted -- any MTA gurus on this list?
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 23:37:57 CST

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 03:24:06PM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
> [ If you don't grok qmail or Postfix, then feel free to skip this message. ]
>
> Argh! The following message just arrived at the list a full 26 hours after
> I sent it. Something is grossly wrong, and I'm trying to isolate the
> problem.
>
> My understanding of email headers is pretty limited, but if I'm reading this
> right, a qmail process at my ISP took over a day to hand the message off to
> the Postfix process at AbiSource, which then sent it out 2 seconds later.
>
> Is there enough information here to help diagnose which end might be having
> the trouble? Any suggestions would be welcome.

That definitely looks like your ISP is having some serious issues. I
took a look back through my mail folder, and it looks like a number of
your messages spent between 4 and 24 hours in a similar state of limbo
around the same time.

And, FWIW, the message I'm replying to seems to have taken quite a
while to get here. Something like 6 hours.

Have fun getting your ISP to admit that, though.

Personally, I reccomend mutt on parsons. I won't tolerate performance
like that. :-)

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss