Re: Multi-Paragraph Headers and footers?

Subject: Re: Multi-Paragraph Headers and footers?
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 00:39:43 CST

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Paul Rohr wrote:

> How hard would it be to reflow the body content to adapt to the header size,
> instead of just clipping?
>
> I can envision headers and footers working in any of three ways:
>
> 1. Growing "inwards" and squeezing the body content to make it smaller. We
> already have contraint logic which decides how much of a page should be used
> for the body container(s) based on the page margins. The idea would be to
> allow even less room if the headers / footers need more.

If I were to do it, I would do this. Users could however shoot themselves
in the foot by growing the headers into the footers and leaving no room
for text. We should put limits on the size of the headers, why not as they
currently are? Once dragable vertical margins are enabled this will be
trivial.

> >Actually we should put some handles on
> >the left ruler so the user can interactively change margins like the top
> >ruler.
> >
> >Anyone interested?
>
> This would be a nice way to finish off step III of the following POW:

> Bruce has already zapped step 2, so be sure to consult the relevant checkins
> for ideas.

I just looked at this POW. Given the work that Bruce has already done it
should be very easy to do this XP work which will benefit all platforms.
However we also have footter margins now. These are now both squeezed from
the the top.

ie. The header margin lowers the top of the header container. The bottom
of the header container is the top of the regular text area.

And the footter margin is the distance from the bottom of the page to
the bottom of the footer container. The top of the footter container is
the bottom of the regular text.

Any volenteers?

Martin