FAQ -- locale-specific settings (was Re: how should we localize locale names?)

Subject: FAQ -- locale-specific settings (was Re: how should we localize locale names?)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 12:00:14 CST

At 01:23 PM 3/8/01 +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> Also, I'm sorry for talking a bit off-topic in this thread: recently
somebody
>complained that we don't have any way to associate ispell dictionary name
with
>particular locale (e.g. use spanish.hash under Spanish locale). It's wrong -
>such technology is already implemented since 0.7.12 - see system.profile*
>files we ship - e.g. system.profile-ru as we ship currently already contains
>the following to activate russian.hash as ispell dictionary by default:
>
><SystemDefaults
> SpellCheckWordList="russian.hash"
> RulerUnits="cm"
>/>
>
>When reading system.profile at startup, AW also looks for the files
>system.profile-SUFFIX where suffix is
> language code (e.g. ru)
> locale name (e.g. ru-RU)
> encoding name (e.g. KOI8-R)
>So, all locale-specific or language specific settings could be put in such
>special system.profile-* files.

Cool. I didn't realize this. Sounds like a much better place to put
locale-specific defaults than my prior *inane* suggestion to hack the
strings files.

Thus, to make sure that any of our source or binary packages Just Work, do
we just need to make sure that each translator also supplies an appropriate
system.profile-* file or files? If so, this sounds like FAQ fodder.

Do any of the following need to be updated to make sure the appropriate
folks know about this?

  - translators ... abi/docs/AbiSource_Localization.abw
  - end users ... abi/user/wp/??, user-level FAQ on website
  - distros ... abi/UnixLocales.txt

Thanks,
Paul