Re: how should we localize locale names?

Subject: Re: how should we localize locale names?
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 05:17:56 CST

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 11:04:35AM -0000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> Is it really not obvious that by refusing to do the one logical and
> clean thing, to translate the languages to the respective locales,
> you have already created yourself hours and hours of unncessary
> work, at the end of which you will get a user interface that does not
> produce a satisfactory result on any locale at all, and only on
> Latin1 it will make any sense at all? Please, please, go back to the
> very beginning and look at the whole issue afresh.

I think we can all see that this is a difficult issue (why can't
everyone just have the same character set :-). But I think it's far
from clear that a dialog of a long list of localized names is the best
solution. If the user is in a position to understand this dialog,
then they probably didn't need the UI translated in the first place.
While that may not be true in the general case, it's definitely true
that having everything in the dialog in chinese would make it very
hard for a russian speaker to select their correct language.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss