Re: how should we localize locale names?

Subject: Re: how should we localize locale names?
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 00:23:26 CST

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 12:34:59AM -0500, Tom Briggs wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, [iso-8859-1] Joaquín Cuenca Abela wrote:
>
> > > By contrast, having en-US equivalents always show up as a fallback might
> > > tend to disguise the problem on a casual glance.
> >
> > Sorry to be a bit arish, Paul, but the TODO icon is *WRONG*. The TODO
> > icon is way too much intrusive.
>
> I think that that's kinda the point - half of organizing an open source
> project is motivation. Putting an annoying, and to use your word,
> intrusive icon, could/should motivate someone to fix it. Simply
> defaulting to English provides a significantly reduced amount of
> motivation.

But I think we have to come down on the side of usability some times.
A TODO icon is basically useless, whereas the en_US icon is likely to
be helpful. Contrast this with the little message for unimplemented
dialogs, which doesn't reduce usabilty, but does suggest to people
that they become involved.

I think the TODO icons actively make AbiWord less useful and harder to
use, and that therefore are not a good idea. People who are likely to
be willing to translate will notice the fallback text as well.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss