[RFC] Version Numbers in Bugzilla?

Subject: [RFC] Version Numbers in Bugzilla?
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 18:15:47 CST

Currently, version numbers are a problem for Bugzilla. This is
because we previouly allowed free-form versions, but the new Bugzilla
no longer allows this. So, we have the following options:

1. Make versions free form again. This requires lots of Bugzilla
hacking, none of which I'm doing. Patches accepted. :-)

2. Add huge numbers of versions, and recategorize every bug in the
database. Then there are way too many versions, many of which are
wrong or irrelevant. Lots of work. Bad idea.

3. Stop using versions. That is, delete all the versions except
"other", and set all bugs to that version. This is what I think we
should do, for the following reasons:

        a. It's easy. Nuff said.
        b. Versions are useless anyway. What does it matter what
versions someone thinks they had when the reported the bug? What
matters is if it's reproducible in current CVS.
        c. Everybody else is doing it. Mozilla has adopted the
strategy I suggested. As has Eazel. Ximian has exactly 3 versions,
one of which is "unspecfied" and another which is "post 0.8".

Can anyone think of a good reason not to do this?

This should be resolved soon, since any bug that's set to an invalid
version (almost all of them) complains at you when you change it.
This is very annoying, and needs to go away.

Comments?

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss