How hard is it to write a device driver?

Subject: How hard is it to write a device driver?
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 11:13:52 CST

I run several motherboards with built in SiS 5597 (or 5598) video
chipsets. There is a driver for xFree 3.x, but not for 4.x.

I'm (idly) wondering how difficult it might be to create the driver for
4.x?

Must it be done from "scratch" in assembler or C, or is there any sort
of "fill-in-the-blanks" approach (like some of the old dos printer
drivers)?

Will the fact that a driver exists for 3.x give me a significant head
start?

Is someone already working on the driver? (Because, to be honest, it is
probably unlikely that I can do it.)

Is there a mailing list for driver developers? (I saw the list for
Neomagic, but I assumed that was focused on a specific brand of video
card.)

Thanks,
Randy Kramer