Re: pruning "redundant" properties while editing

Subject: Re: pruning "redundant" properties while editing
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 12:12:16 CST

At 10:46 PM 3/12/01 +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
> Thanks very much for this detailed reply. Given that our current
>scheme works and the main problem is just the verboseness of our exported
>*.abw, I'll leave this be.

Bummer. I was hoping I could motivate someone (not necessarily you) into
investigating the behavioral difference I identified. I have a sneaking
suspicion that our UI is subtly wrong, and that the right pruning algorithm
might give us both:

  - a cleaner file format, *and*
  - a better user experience.

Oh well. I tried. ;-)

>I was just wondering if there was magic command to the piecetable that
>would make an attribute or property go away.

There might be. See #3 in the original post. However, the reason I went
into so much detail is that it's not clear that it'd be safe to *use* such a
command without also dealing with the larger issue described.

Paul

PS: Making the full change here is mostly a matter of getting the desired
behavior completely specified. Once any design implications of the change
are clear, the actual implementation should take a day or two, if that. (He
says, crossing his fingers and squinting.)