Re: Suggested bug categories

Subject: Re: Suggested bug categories
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 11:31:08 CST

At 10:25 AM 3/12/01 -0600, Sam TH wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 08:23:10AM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
>> As I've been pointing out to various folks in private, I really, really
like
>> how Eazel's been influencing a lot of prominent Open Source efforts to use
>> Bugzilla to track "all unfinished work". Getting stuff like this right
>> really helps.
>
>Well, I'm not sure Eazel gets all the credit for this, but it is an
>excellent idea.

On the "credit where credit is due" theory, please let me know who else I
should be praising. It *is* an excellent idea, and that's the first place I
saw it done so prominently. :-)

>However, I think it conflicts with the goal of
>getting rid of TODO as a category. For example, where else would you
>suggest that I locate the 1.0 and 0.9 tracking bugs?

Please explain. If we have milestone support, then I don't see the
conflict. For example, we could easily say that all of the following work
"should" get done for 0.9:

  Category: yyy
  Target Milestone: 0.9

  Category: Import -- RTF
  Keyword: TODO
  Target Milestone: 0.9

Likewise, the following would be listed as 1.0 work:

  Category: Windows front end
  Target Milestone: 1.0

  Category: Spelling
  Keyword: TODO
  Target Milestone: 1.0

  Category: All front end
  Target Milestone: 1.0

And finally, here are some hypothetical post-1.0 tasks:

  Category: Layout
  Keyword: RFE
  Remaining work: 1 month
  Target Milestone: later

  Category: Import - Word
  Keyword: RFE
  Votes: 1461
  Remaining work: 2 months
  Target Milestone: hold your horses (aka cough up the big bucks)

Where's the conflict?

Paul