Re: Headers/Footers Page numbers.

Subject: Re: Headers/Footers Page numbers.
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 07:14:09 CST

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Martin Sevior wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>
> > > Martin:
> >
> > > 2. Where and what should the header/footer dialog be?
> > > HAve "Insert Header/footer" under "Insert". This just pops up
> > > Have "Remove Header/Footer" under "Edit"
> > I think I would prefer both under 'Edit', as a submenu
> > 'Headers/Footers', and then the two dialogs (or perhaps they could
> > be merged into one?). Having two so closely related items on two
> > different menus could be, IMO, confusing for the user.
> >

> This was my first suggestion but Thomas Fletcher said THAT would be
> confusing :-)

 Actually, what I was mainly complaining about was the fact that
there was going to be a whole dialog devoted to headers and footers,
and that the dialog was going to be so "simple". If you look at
the Word dialog, it contains the ability to insert fields (ie
the page numbers that we have in our menu right now) along with
"other things". If all you are interested in having is a dialog
so that you can turn the headers/footers on and off, is there a
reason that a simple action in the menu wouldn't suffice? Not
only that but I'd rather see that this operation become integrated
with the actual editing of the document, such that the only need
for would be for headers/footers to be "visible" or not and that
if the user wants to edit the header or the footer then they would
just click in the greyed out area of the header/footer, which would
then "ungrey" and grey out the normal document so that they know
that they are working in a different section. Rather than graying
this out (or in addition to) we could also just draw a dotted line
around the header/footer.

 If one doesn't exist, then there is just an empty rectangle waiting
for the user to click to input. Then if they want to insert fields
images or anything else, they just work normally. Why does Word
make this so complicated ... and is there a reason why we want to?

Thomas