Re: Headers/Footers Page numbers.

Subject: Re: Headers/Footers Page numbers.
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 07:58:15 CST

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 12:42:10AM +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
> This could all be done if people think it is worth the effort. Editting
> Abi docs will suddenly look a lot different with the rectangular boxes on
> the top and bottom of every page. Is this what we should do?

I don't think this is what Thomas was suggesting. At least I hope
not. What I got out of Thomas's mail was this:

There are two states for headers and footers: on and off. This is
controlled by a simple menu item. When headers/footers are off, you
see nothing different than you would see in an Abi document without
h/f. When you turn headers/footers on, you see one of two things:

      If there is a header/footer in that space, you see it.

      If there is no header/footer in that space, you see a gray
      shaded rectangle where it would be.

Clicking on either the h/f or the rectance moves you into h/f editing
mode, possibly graying the rest of the document.

Note that Insert Page Numbers should not turn h/f mode on. The page
numbers should simply be invisible, until you turn on h/f mode.[1]

At least, that's how I think it should work. I think that would be
*significatly* more in line with what users want to Just Work.

[1] Potentially, we could have a preference to turn h/f mode on by
default.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss