Re: Togglable toolbars on Win32

Subject: Re: Togglable toolbars on Win32
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 11:36:17 CST

Tom Briggs:
> Can somebody out there who knows what's going on behind the scenes
> (Mike Nordell, are you listening? :P) explain to me why, when all toolbars
> are turned off, a "dead" area the height of one toolbar appers where you'd
> expect the toolbars to be?

Someone decided to not use usual toolbars but to go with "coolbar". This is
(IMNSHO) a hideous M$ creation to store other "thingies" inside, like
toolbars and menus. To anyone arguing the "hideous" part I can only say:
watch the programming interface, and see how many win95 users can't use
AbiWord without installing Internet Eplorer 4 (or five or whatever it is).

I added the (alpha-version code) code to turn on/off the toolbar-"parts" in
the "coolbar", but I didn't feel like putting the finishing touch on it
since I detest it myself. My guesstimate is that you'd have to destroy that
"coolbar" window (HWND) when the last contained item goes away, and then put
it back when the user wants to display a toolbar. To me it seems insane to
need to go through all this work to do something as (imaginary) simple as
this, but this is actually about the only thing I can come to think of
(perhaps ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) can do the trick, but I won't promise
anything).

/Mike