Proposal: Platform-specific dev web pages

Subject: Proposal: Platform-specific dev web pages
From: Tom Briggs (tomabi@jules.briggs.cx)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 13:16:41 CST

   Despite the fact that AbiWord is an XP program, there's a lot of work
that needs to be done on the platform-specific level. Most of the
discussion on this list seems to revolve around theoretical XP design or
inherently XP, backend-type stuff (which is good, don't get me wrong),
while the work required for platform-specific stuff is pretty much
expected to be done by "someone on that platform".
   In an attempt to galvanize development of AbiWord on Windows, I've
started to put together some pages dedicated to development of AbiWord on
Windows. These pages are intended to serve as a clearinghouse for
information about development of AbiWord on Windows - FAQs, HOWTOs, what's
broken, who's responsible for what, what needs to be done, etc. I'd like
to hear what everybody thinks about this idea; in particular I'd like to
hear everyone's opinions about:

   o What this page is missing
   o What could be done better
   o Whether this is a worthwhile effort at all
   o Whether we should set up similar pages for all platforms (QNX, Be,
Unix, GNOME) (and any volunteers to maintain those pages :P)
   o Whether these pages should become a part of the regular web site or
be considered separate entities
   o Any other comments the page might inspire :)

   A first draft of a Win32 Dev page is at:
   http://www.abisource.com/~tom/

   Three quick notes:
   1. The Bugs links don't currently work, but those will get taken care
of when we smooth out the problems with the new Bugzilla.
   2. I'd eventually like to add bug counts to this page that come
directly from the Bugzilla database, a la Jesper's weekly bug count posts.
   3. I'd also like to make the "Unclaimed tasks" (and therefore the Hit
List) database-driven rather than static

   Thoughts/questions/comments/complaints?

   -Tom