Re: Page number question

Subject: Re: Page number question
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@cambridge.redhat.com)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 01:16:44 CST

>>>>> "Martin" == Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au> writes:

Martin> I recently read that the hallmark of a good GUI Application is
Martin> to do what the user expects. Clearly we can't always do
Martin> this. I must admit that right now "insert page numbers" does
Martin> what I would expect. If a user chooses to insert a page number
Martin> in the header it goes there. If she chooses to insert one in
Martin> the footer it goes there. If you don't want a page number in

Yes, but if you insert a pagenumber where there already is one, and
just change the location (left, center, right), it effectively works
as a "Change pagenumber..." control, not a "Insert pagenumber..."
control.

Martin> the header press cntrl-[ and remove it (or edit-header from
Martin> the menu). Since the menu item is "Insert" I take it to mean
Martin> just that and no more.

OK, this is fine. I was just pointing out that I was confused, is
all. As I've said before, I'm not really a WP power user :)

Martin> Actually we could do as Micheal Pritchard suggests and remove
Martin> the "Insert Page Number" entry entirely now we can edit
Martin> headers/footer directly but MS Word has it and it is something
Martin> people are likely to do.

No, definitely keep it.

Jesper