Re: 1.0 features [was Re: Call for writers]

Subject: Re: 1.0 features [was Re: Call for writers]
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 04:55:56 CDT

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:27:38AM +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> > Whatever we decide to ship for 1.0 will be enough for some people, and not
> > enough for others. That's what 1.1 and 2.0 are for.
>
> I understand that. What I think we need to watch for, is not to
> release 1.0 that will not be enough for _most_ people.

Right now, I would say AbiWord has about 500,000 users. We can triple
or quadruple that without running into barriers based on our current
feature set.

AbiWord isn't going to win the word processor war at 1.0. The only
thing that trying for that is going to accomplish is disappointing the
users who want 1.0 now.

There are basically two categories here:

1. People who want AbiWord's feature set.
2. People who want MS Word's feature set.

1.0 is going to make the people in category 1 happy, and not the
people in category 2. No work that we put into 1.0 is going to change
that.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss