[owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com: BOUNCE abiword-dev@abisource.com: Non-member submission from ["Emswiler, Mike" <MEmswiler@protrader.com>]]

Subject: [owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com: BOUNCE abiword-dev@abisource.com: Non-member submission from ["Emswiler, Mike" ]]
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 15:29:50 CDT

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss

attached mail follows:

>From owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com Wed May 2 15:11:54 2001
From: "Emswiler, Mike" <MEmswiler@protrader.com>
To: "'Abiword-Dev (E-mail)" <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
Subject: RE: Tables
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 15:11:46 -0500
Return-Receipt-To: "Emswiler, Mike" <MEmswiler@protrader.com>

I agree that tables are an important feature in a word processor.

However, one of my long-term frustrations has been the poor implementation
of tables found in most word processors today.

Just my $0.02 worth, but I think a table implementation should be allowed to
be viewed as tables work in, say, M$ word *or* (and here's the nifty bit) as
a mini-spreadsheet. I mean, having tables is nice, but not being able
automatically re-compute values in them is incredibly frustrating and
short-sighted.

Now, I'm not saying it must have the *entire* feature set of Excel in it,
but I think it could be a bit more useful than a simple multi-column,
multi-row layout feature.

Thanks,
MikeE