Re: Topic: Versioning scheme and 1.0

Subject: Re: Topic: Versioning scheme and 1.0
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 20:57:29 CDT

Hi Jesper,

>I just wanted to have an "official" poll on my suggestion for the
>alternative versioning scheme. Go read my posting on that:
>
>But substitute the next version with 2 instead of 42 as in the mail.
>
>I really think it'll make a moot point of the current discussions of
>what features are critical for a 1.0 release - and in particular, help
>our users to think of AbiWord as something that evolves one step at a
>time, not something that has to be judged and tried on on major
>revision releases.

Well, I'm just not sure what our users will think of this. We might have the
unwanted effect of confusing them, which would be bad.

But in general, I'm in favor of this. Except that I'd like the next release
to be "15" instead of "2". 2 seems too larval. My perception of Abi is that
it "came of age" in the 0.7 series and has really blossomed very recently
(but by no means is it perfect or finished, only better). So if this
versioning scheme passes, I'd like it to start at what what I consider to be
a significant milestone.

Thanks,
Dom