Re: Topic: Versioning scheme and 1.0

Subject: Re: Topic: Versioning scheme and 1.0
rms@greymalkin.yi.org
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 07:27:37 CDT

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 09:39:14AM +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> They will think what people thougth when Word 6.0 came after
> Word 2.0; they will wonder what happened to Abi 0.8 - 14, and the

They just decided to mantain a common versioning scheme.

There was, at least that I am absolutely sure of, MS Word 4 and 5 on the Macintosh while it was only 2.0 on the windows boxes.

> I personally like the decimal system we use at them moment.

Versioning, it's three pairs of integers. It's not decimal! Decimal numbers only have one dot and the natural evolution 1.9 is 2.0. In versioning, the natural evolution of 1.9 may be 1.10 (or 2.0, if the developers think it's different enough -- new features, gui etc..)

Hugs, rms