Re: Topic: Footnotes/Endnotes and 1.0

Subject: Re: Topic: Footnotes/Endnotes and 1.0
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 17:39:56 CDT

At 09:14 PM 5/2/01 -0500, Sam TH wrote:
>On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 01:42:27AM -0400, Patrick Lam wrote:
>> So the thing about footnotes is that I'm willing to start implementing
>> them in the near future.
>>
>> If I don't finish implementing them in the near future, we should not hold
>> 1.0 for them. But if I can get them to Just Work, then we can add it.

That sounds like an excellent strategy, Pat. Thanks!

>> I'll say more technical things soon.

Looking forward to it. :-)

>Might I make the suggestion that you try to implement endnotes first?
>
>1. It will be easier, and therefore provide a solution even if
>footnotes have serious problems and can't be in 1.0.
>2. The code should be shareable.

Sounds reasonable. That would allow you to skip all the interactions with
widow/orphan logic, while still tackling all the out-of-flow UI issues, as
well as numbering, etc.

>Not that I'm writing the code, or anything.

Ditto. :-) Unless Pat needs more feedback or design help, I think this
thread can safely stay dormant until he revives it.

Paul
(one down, seven to go)