Re: Topic: Versioning scheme and 1.0

Subject: Re: Topic: Versioning scheme and 1.0
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 18:55:46 CDT

On Thu, 3 May 2001, WJCarpenter wrote:

> ms> PS. I hate the Word 2000 Tables UI. I'm hacking on one now and I
> ms> can't make it come out right. If it had been done with tabs and
> ms> lines ala Abi, I'd know exactly how to make it work.
>
> Can you say a bit more about what you don't like? As I've said
> already, I find it great, and I'm the kind of guy who grew up on troff
> and such.

I wanted to squash a large table onto a page. I tried moving the column
markers together. The worked except for some cells whose columns didn't
change. The there were whole rows of columns with cells which didn't line
line up. Word wouldn't let me line things up no matter what I tried. I
even tried the auto format button. No luck.

I eventually gave up on that table and did something else instead.

If it had been made with tabs every column would have lined up by
definition, except for those that were too large. However it easy to see
which cells have too much text in them so I could have adjusted things to
make them fit.

This was with state-of-art Word 2000. Very frustrating.

Cheers

Martin