Re: GIFs

Subject: Re: GIFs
From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@celium.net)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 03:25:45 CDT

Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> According to Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com>:
> >
> > 2) Some of the screenshots were clearly made on Linux. Since (to my
> > knowledge) there is no licensed GIF-writing software for Linux, it is
> > highly likely that these GIFs were made by software without a license.
> > So? Well, for one thing it means that we owe Unisys about $5k (see
> > burnallgifs.org)

of course, I'm also 100% for the conversion, but I want just to point
that the Unisys patent is not legal everywhere. It's legal in the USA
(which has the peskier laws about patents... :) but it's not legal in
France, for instance. Here you can not copyright an algorithm.

So even if we have linux screenshots in gif, it doesn't mean that unisys
can send us automatically to jail or something.

Cheers,

--
Joaquin Cuenca Abela
cuenca@celium.net