Re: Commit: Better DND Handling

Subject: Re: Commit: Better DND Handling
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 16:42:15 CDT

At 04:56 PM 5/11/01 -0400, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
>Much better DND handling now for GNOME. Images get inserted inline,
>Mozilla URLs get handled (sometimes), Documents open in the same window
>if it's clean or in a new window if the current window is dirty.
>
>Good stuff.

Dom,

Could you file a bug describing the intended behavior for this, so that
people know what they need to implement on other platforms to match? From
scanning your patch, it looks like this is *only* for dropping files "into"
AbiWord windows. [1]

I'm presuming that you haven't identified any useful XP abstractions here,
or else these details could just be copied as a comment into the appropriate
platform stubs.

Paul

[1] The more sophisticated XP work needed to implement *internal* DND for
AbiWord is, I assume, still a post-1.0 issue. For example, AFAIK, we can't
yet:

  - drag selections around inside AbiWord,
  - nor drop them "outside" either.

The former is clearly XP, and at least some of the latter could be as well.