Re: cjk support on unix is broken

Subject: Re: cjk support on unix is broken
From: ha shao (hashao@chinese.com)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 01:46:15 CDT

Sorry for the late reply. I was tied up with other stuff.
Patch attached.

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 09:48:51AM +1000, msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au wrote:

> > Also,file size of normal Chinese TT fonts are in the range of 3MB-10+MB.
> > Is it feasible to convert the fonts into type42 and embed in .ps
> > files?
> >

> I guess it could be done but Abi would be dog slow printing. The only near
> term solution would be to hope that gnome-print finally manages to
> properly support TT printing.

Yes. The resulting file would be too bloated even for liners. Embeding
the fonts has the benefit of portable. I just really hate the idea of a
10MB ps file with a few Chinese. :)

Some Chinese user actually want to see abiword would actually embed
TTF as type42 in .ps files. But I hate it...

Anyway, the reason CJK stopped working was because the OpenFileAs
metho of UnixFont treate cjk fonts as UNKNOWN type and return false.
Just has it return true for cjk fonts get the thing back to the old
track.

I also add some comment on the format of fonts.dir for cjk locale for
further reference. Patch attached.

--
Best regard
hashao