Re: Patch: Multi-encoding Text import/export

Subject: Re: Patch: Multi-encoding Text import/export
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 13:43:44 CDT

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Andrew Dunbar wrote:

> Sam TH wrote:
> > Other than that, this is excellent.
>
> Thanks! I've found that we must make the Text Encoding a per-
> document feature instead of based entirely on the locale.
> I need to know how to add an "encoding" field to AbiWord's
> document class - this will also be very useful for at least
> the HTML and RTF importers and exporters - probably more.

 I think they are needed. Both RTF and HTML formats pretty precisely specify
encoding (RTF - in some backward way) - so it's not necessary. The only use is
if someone exported file by (or wants to export for importing into) some
widely spread non-following specs app. I don't know ones that satisfy both
conditions :)

 Best regards,
  -Vlad