Re: Patch: Multi-encoding Text import/export

Subject: Re: Patch: Multi-encoding Text import/export
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 13:09:55 CDT

Vlad Harchev wrote:

> > Anyway I'm willing to implement this feature - I just need some
> > pointers on how/where to add a new field to the internal document
> > class.
>
> I don't understand why new field to existing document class is needed.
> I think we should a special exporter/importer that allows to specify encoding
> of the document under a name of base exporter/importer with something appended
> (e.g. "HTML" and "HTML (encoded)" - as in OpenOffice). If user selects
> "..(encoded)" version ,dialog pops up and asks what encoding to use).

Of course, MS Word does much the same. But if we know which
encoding a document uses when we load it we should remember this
and set it initially in the dialog. This means we have to store
it somewhere between import and export. Leaving it up to the
user is annoying and time-consuming.

Andrew Dunbar.

--
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net