Re: standalone import/export

Subject: Re: standalone import/export
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 19:41:25 CDT

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> Are the importers/exporters for abiword available in a standalone form
> for the command line? I would like to test the latest HTML exporters
> without attempting to recompile all of abiword from scratch on my
> 32M 200Mhz Pentium I.

Sorry the importers/exporters require abiword. Just think of the
combinatorics of getting N importers to talk to N exporters without a
common intermediatary.

You can use abiword from the command line to translate documents. Use the
the --to option.

ie.

 abiword --to=rtf oldwork.doc

Reagrding abiwowrd itself, it's only a 4.5 MB download for the linux rpms,
only 3.3 MB for the Windows version. We try to make releases every 6 - 12
weeks. We don't guarentee that abi will be stable between releases anyway.

If you just want to to translate *.doc files to latex or HTML you're
better off with wvLatex or wvHTML (see www.wvware.com) maintained by our
very own Dom Lachowicz

Finally if you can get the importers/exporters to compile you can almost
certainly get abi to compile.

Cheers

Martin