Re: Patch: Multi-encoding Text import/export

Subject: Re: Patch: Multi-encoding Text import/export
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 04:30:08 CDT

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> According to Vlad Harchev <hvv@hippo.ru>:
> >
> > In fact, the native encoding of RTF (as specified by \ansicpg) is ignored by
> > word itself - it uses current font charset (specified by \fcharset) when
> > interpreting non-unicode characters (i.e. the ones, not specified with
> > \uNNNN).
>
> But RTF can have encoding specified by \mac \ansi \pc or \pca kerwords.
> And Abiword does handle this correctly as well as word. When storing Abiword
> does use \ansi
>
> \ansicpg is an extension used to have more encodings as the need raised years
> later

 It seems that \ansicpgNNN etc are ignored by word (or at least by wordpad
from windows95) - they interpret characters using charset of the font in
current group (charset of the font is specified by \fcharset) and completely
ignore argument of \ansicpg. Abiword on the other hand is fully driven by the
argument of \ansicpg and completely ignores \fcharset when parsing rtfs - and
we even have an issue in bugzilla that marks it as a bug, with nice test
document (and I even commented on it there - AFAIK it's the only my comment in
entire bugzilla :). But AbiWord sets \fcharset argument correctly when
exporting rtfs.
 So \ansicpg seems to be obsolete.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad