Re: Patch: Fix for Bug 1164, 2nd try

Subject: Re: Patch: Fix for Bug 1164, 2nd try
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 05:52:41 CDT

Vlad Harchev wrote:

> > > Andrew's RTF looks different from yours because Andrew is running Win2k - it
> > > seems XAP_EncodingManager.is_cjk_locale() returns 0 under Win2k and 1 (as
> > > expected) under unix. Andrew, coduld you correct this (make is_cjk_locale()
> > > returning proper value)?
> >
> > If the \uxxxx output is correct (that other wp can load it with no
>
> Wordpad from Win95 won't load it (\uxxx form). May be from win98
> too. There may be other primitive editors that won't load it.
> So I think it would be safer not to use \uxxxx form for maximum
> compatibility. So correctly working is_cjk_locale() seems to be needed.
>
> > problem), maybe the is_cjk_locale is not needed? Sorry, I forget the
> > reason to have that in the place. We must have some reason...
> > Maybe for export to the 'rtf for old application' format?
>
> is_cjk_locale is widely used internally on unix - for printing, drawing etc.
> As for 'rtf for old apps' - its output doesn't differ from usual RTF
> exporter's for multibyte locales. Only for singlebyte ones (it's for
> StarOffice 5.2 that doesn't parse RTF correctly).

It seems to me that we are relying on is_cjk_locale() for a little
too much. Only in so far as if we are running on a chinese locale
and editing a japanese document, we will save characters that are
compatible between both correctly but others will probably save as
'?' - and many may not expect this. A more advanced exporter would
save all characters supportable by the encoding as 8 bit multibyte
and all non-supported characters as unicode. I believe this is what
the later versions of MSWord and WordPad do.

I just want to be sure we are aware of this - it's probably a bit
much to do right now and the is_cjk_locale() is the next best
thing in the meantime.

Andrew Dunbar.

--
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net