Re: POW: speed up bulk spell checking

Subject: Re: POW: speed up bulk spell checking
From: Patrick Lam (plam@plam.lcs.mit.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 23:02:41 CDT

So I just got back from a week's vacation and now I'm deluged with 500k of
abiword-dev mail.

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Martin Sevior wrote:

> > The questions:
> > 1. Where do I implement this? Should there be a special class UT_Idle,
> > or can we modify the UT_Timer to handle both timer-functions and
> > idle-functions?
> > 2. Who will do the other platforms?
> >

> These are both tough questions because so far we've explicitly not gone
> down the threads path.

I just wanted to note that it's perfectly ok (in the multithreaded sense)
to do stuff while idling. My understanding is that this just corresponds
to extra events, which isn't the same as real multithreadedness, where
you have data races between threads. In particular, only one piece of
code is active at a time.

On the other hand, we certainly aren't multithread safe, and things will
surely go wrong if we do run things in a real multithreaded environment.

Y'all seemed to have worked out a suitable solution for the actual
mechanics of the implementation, so that looks good to me.

pat