Re: Commit: back out martin's changes ;-(

Subject: Re: Commit: back out martin's changes ;-(
From: David Mandelin (mandelin@cs.wisc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 11:46:10 CDT

Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> > Have you looked if there is code available in Free Software Land to
> > reuse? I'd look into that before starting such a (seemingly) huge
> > project.
>
> I will look here, because there probably is a solution already in existence.
> For the record, I already have an XP mutex and a MutexAcquisition class that
> should suffice here. Making a thread class will be much harder, however.

I was working on a Win32 idle loop. I think I'll finish anyway, since
I'm almost done. Ignore it if you like.

SDL and wxWindows each have XP thread libs. In wxWindows, there are
1200-1500 LOC per platform for threads, mutexen, and condition
variables.

By the way, I'd help with multithreading. I have Win2k, MacOS X, and
Linux/Gnome machines, so I can work on several platforms.

I'm confused about the goal here. I don't see what's wrong with timers
and idle handlers. As long as they send everything through the event
queue, the program is effectively single-threaded, even if the system
uses multiple threads to make it happen. There shouldn't be any race
conditions.