patch -- win build embeds a perl interpreter

Subject: patch -- win build embeds a perl interpreter
From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 03:55:26 CDT

cf. subject

of course, only if it's build with ABI_OPT_PERL=1.

To see that work in action, get ActiveState Perl, and make sure that
when you execute "perl" in your bash window you call ActiveState Perl

When you execute "perl -v" and/or "perl -V" you should see the compiler
used to build the perl executable that you're using, you should see
something as "this perl has been build using a bad/evil/closed source M$
compiler". The wording of the message may vary.

If you a message saying that "cygwin", "gcc" or some other nice words,
then you're executing the bad perl. Trying renaming your /usr/bin/perl
to something else, and put your C:\Perl\bin\ (or whatever) in your PATH.

It *may* work with cygwin perl, but if I believe the perl doc about xs
you will have a hard time (ie, it will crash) when we'll got the xs
stuff working.

Right now you can not do too many useful things with that, but:

1) It's a step forward for perl scripting in windows
2) It cleans previous unix implementation
3) It fixes several bugs in the unix version
4) It doesn't break anything

I will not have cvs access until the univ. computers are opened again,
so please apply this patch for me asap (ie, as soon as cvs tree opens
again, and you have some free time :)

Enjoy!

P.S.: I've done some little changes to ut_PerlBindings in linux and I've
not rechecked that it still builds in windows, so maybe windows perl
build will be a bit broken... :) I don't think so, and anyway now it
should be easy to fix if it's broken.

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
cuenca@celium.net