Re: style => name?

Subject: Re: style => name?
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 18:08:18 CDT

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Paul Rohr wrote:

> At 10:34 AM 9/7/01 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> >OK, I cleaned this up. For some reason that I don't understand, sometimes
> >abi was using the attribute "name" to repesent a style and sometimes it
> >was using "style" to repesent a style.
>
> Sorry. I thought the original implementation was pretty easy to understand.
> There are two ways styles are used in a document:
>
> 1. All style *references* take the form of a STYLE= attribute on a P or C
> tag. The semantics are that you're applying a paragraph or character-level
> style with that name (as appropriate) to the current scope.
>
> 2. All style *definitions* are S tags inside the STYLES block at the head
> of the document, where the two immediately relevant attributes tell you what
> the NAME= of that style is and what TYPE= of style it is (P for paragraph or
> C for character).
>
> The net effect is styles allow a named indirection to augment the explicit
> PROPS on a C or P tag with a canned, document-wide set of PROPS hanging off
> an S tag with the appropriate NAME and TYPE.
>
> For example, look at the markup for the following document:
>
> abi/test/wp/Styles.abw
>
> If there are any other questions about the original styles design, by all
> means ask. :-)

OK, I'll have to reread all this and think it and all it's
implications through. I wrote a lot of code to fix bugs in the style
implementation and to extend it to update the document on making a change
to the style definitions. I want to make sure that to make sure I fully
understand what you're trying to do here and how my change, everything =>
"name" will impact on it.

Just a note, users don't edit *.abw by hand. We're talking long term
maintainance of *.abw code here.

I wrote the other email about styles before reading this.

Martin