Re: (X)HTML exporter severely broken

Subject: Re: (X)HTML exporter severely broken
From: John L. Clark (jlc6@po.cwru.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 11:58:26 CDT

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 12:30:32PM -0400, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> The HTML exporter is severely broken right now, and I'm willing to
> delay/postpone the release until this *major* component is fixed. The end tags
> are not closed properly - sometimes they are omitted, other times they show up
> multiple times, other times they are out of place.
>
> I'll try to take a look at this sometime soon. John Clark: if you're out
> there, your help would be appreciated.

You better believe I'm out there. Yes, this was what prompted my
original e-mail a few days ago about the "style"=>"name" nastiness.
When Martin changed this stuff, the html exporter, which looks for
"style"s in blocks no longer saw them, and that throws EVERYTHING off.
The "style" name of a given block is the ONLY way that the ABW document
structure communicates what type of block you're in (i.e. Header 1
versus Blockquote, etc). Back out Martin's change (which I /still/
don't understand or agree with), and you fix the problem.

There's a lesson to be learned here, and it is that we need to maintain
consistency within our document structure. When that structure needs to
be changed, PLEASE communicate with fellow developers so that we can do
the legwork on our end needed to make it happen.

If and when we decide on a final way to solve this problem (which I
would argue should be Paul's original way, which made perfect sense to
me), I will make any changes necessary (hopefully none) to make the
exporter work.

Take care,

        John
        ... doesn't like to have to argue the same thing multiple times