ABI_OPT_PERL semi-broken on Win32

Subject: ABI_OPT_PERL semi-broken on Win32
From: Nikolaj Brandt Jensen (mailbag@postman.dk)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 17:06:18 CDT

Hello.

I have been running into a problem compiling with ABI_OPT_PERL=1 on
Windows.

If you have VC6 installed in c:\msvc\vc98 it seems like it is working
(I can't currently complete a compile because of all the impexp
errors). But you cannot make the installation program do this - you
have to modify the installation and environment variables manually.

Normally the compiler is installed in c:\program files\microsoft
visual studio\vc98. This breaks the linking, since it cannot find
"program.obj". This is expected because of the space in "program
files".

However the abi_defs.mk file should do the right thing in the
ifdef ABI_OPT_PERL section. The EXTRA_LIBS line looks right, but
somewhere the " characters in the perl output get stripped out.

Basically this means that it is very painful to set up a machine that
can successfully compile a Windows scripting AbiWord.

BTW: The ie_exp_Applix.cpp and ie_exp_GZipAbiWord.cpp (and more?) are
also broken.

        - Nikolaj