Observations and Questions on Styles

Subject: Observations and Questions on Styles
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 19:00:29 CDT

I started doing some testing today while viewing my test document both
in AbiWord and a text editor. It seems helpful to help me understand
what is going on.

That and some other things prompt a few questions.

- Shouldn't applying Normal to a paragraph revert the style to Normal in
all respects? (Start a document, type test, view the XML. Apply
Chapter Heading 1 style, view the XML. Apply Normal style, view the XML
-- you still see (most of) the attributes for the numbered heading. In
addition, if this is this the last item of a numbered list (or last
heading in a series of numbered headings) shouldn't the "definition" of
the list go away?) (Normal Clean works the same as Normal in these
respects.)

- In AbiWord there are a few ways that you can get a paragraph labeled
as Chapter Heading 1 style without the "Chapter n " prefix. The most
obvious is to simply select and delete the "Chapter n " prefix. That
doesn't seem appropriate -- if you want to get rid of the "Chapter n"
prefix, you should change to a style that does not include that prefix.

In Word97 you cannot select the "Chapter n" prefix, and therefore cannot
delete it.

Aside: in Word you can put the mouse cursor to the left of the heading
and click to select the entire heading, in which case only the text of
the heading (not the "Chapter n " prefix) is shown as selected. If you
do cut and paste at this point, the entire heading is deleted and
reinserted where pasted, with the chapter number adjusted appropriately.

Randy Kramer