Re: Binaries'R'us

Subject: Re: Binaries'R'us
From: Nikolaj Brandt Jensen (mailbag@postman.dk)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 16:27:24 CDT

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:33:45 -0400, you wrote:

Hi Randy.

>Thanks for your continued good work in promptly producing binaries (I
>won't always mention it, but I certainly always appreciate it).

I don't have much time/energy for coding, so I try to help this way
:-)

>Thanks also for the map and PDB files. (Now I'll have to do is learn
>how to use them, should the situation arise. ;-)

It is reasonable easy to find functions that causes a crash using the
map file. Unless the crash throws the PC (program counter, not the
physical thing :) around.

Visual Studio should be able to use a PDB automatically, but without
the source files I don't know how useful it is.

>Aside: I'm having trouble connecting to your site right now. I suspect
>it's just a temporary "run", but what kind of connection do you have to
>the Internet?

Well it seems a lot of people want 0.9.4. Just after I posted the
notice, the web server got hit rather more than usual. It is a 256/256
Kbit ADSL line, and usually it is very lightly loaded.

>PS: I've been making it a practice to download the setup.exe file. I'm
>wondering whether the testing would be significantly less effective if I
>downloaded only Abiword.exe? Maybe now, just prior to a release, I
>should download setup.exe, but maybe only occasionaly download the
>setup.exe?

Since the most interesting part is the .exe, it would probably be fine
to skip the setup. With the occational check to see if the setup
program still works, and can uninstall _everything_.

If you want to check for a complete uninstall, check out
www.sysinternals.com, especially their FileMon and RegMon tools.
Actually everyone doing any kind of Windows troubleshooting should
have that site bookmarked.

        - Nikolaj