0.9.4 Testing -- Memory Leaks

Subject: 0.9.4 Testing -- Memory Leaks
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 12:46:13 CDT

I've started to do a little testing with larger documents, and recognize
that we have a memory leak problem.

It seems that memory isn't fully released when an instance of AbiWord is
closed, only partially. Gradually, as you open and close more
instances, the available memory gets lower and lower.

Here's a test sequence I did with two documents, one around 170K and one
less than 2K. Compare lines A, B, C, D, and E, all with the same two
documents open (only).

Memory Usage System User GDI
AbiWord Closed 47 48 47
AbiWord Opened 44 44 44
Doc 1 opened 42 44 42
Doc 2 opened 37 44 37 A
Doc 1 closed 40 44 40
Doc 1 opened 34 44 34 B
Doc 2 closed 35 44 35
Doc 2 opened 30 44 30 C
Doc 1 closed 34 44 34
Doc 1 opened 27 43 27 D
Doc 2 closed 28 44 28
Doc 2 opened 24 44 24 E
Doc 1 closed not recorded
Doc 2 closed not recorded
AbiWord closed 48 48 48

Similar results with two different sets of documents.

Randy Kramer