Localized Date/Time?

From: Ismo J. Makinen (ism@sci.fi)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 14:31:03 EDT

    Is it possible to use my locale's date/time format?
    All the Insert/Date and TIme and Insert/Field: Date and Time
    options are in English although my locale is FInnish (fi-FI).

    The problem is that the date separator should be . (point),
    not / (slash).

    In Insert/Date and Time the first and second options are
    (using today's date)
    04/15/02
    Monday, April 15, 2002

    They should be (in Finnish)
    15.04.2002
    Maanantai, 15. huhtikuuta 2002

    As you can see, the default date separator should be . and the default
    order should be dd.mm.yyyy

    Is there any way to use Finnish month and day names?
    The funny thing is when I choose Insert Field/Date and Time/Time Zone
    I get "Suomen kesäaika", which is correct (Finnish summer time)

    Is this some kind of configuration problem or can't we localize
    date/time?
    I am using Win95B and Control Panel/Regional settings are correct
    (FInnish; date separator is '.', default date format is dd.mm.yyy).

    Another reason why I ask this is:
    In fi-FI.strings file there are FIELD_DateTime.. strings.

    As a FInnish locale translator I should translate them
    into Finnish. I could do that, but it would be misleading
    because I allways get the english version format.
    IE. FIELD_DateTime_Wkday="The Weekday" should be
    FIELD_DateTime_Wkday="Viikonpäivä"
    (I can't get 100% - correct - translation ;)

    When I try that command I get "Monday". I should get "Maanantai".
    I could define FIELD_DateTime_DDMMYY="dd/mm/yy" as
    FIELD_DateTime_DDMMYY="dd.mm.yy" but I still get 15/04/02, not
    15.04.02 and so on.

    I hope this should just work. It seems rather stupid that
    you have Insert/Date and time dialogue but you can't insert
    your language's correct date formats (time format separator : is OK,
    the same in FInnish). I hope I am missing something obvious here.

    Sorry if I sound a little frustrated.

    --
    Ismo Mäkinen