Re: AIX running but ...

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 01:20:13 EDT

     --- Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com> wrote: >
    > --- Alberto 'JCN-9000' Varesio
    > > <A-Varesio@eads.matradatavision.com> wrote: >
    > Andrew

    > it,
    > and
    > > here.
    > should
    > > > pick

    > and
    > > > recompiled
    > > > Got 40 Mb exec file. ( AbiWord_s )
    > > > Attached you have log file and file saved.
    > > > Keys pressed are 'qwerty v' : just 9
    > keystrokes.
    > > > On the file only the two blanks !!
    > > > On each non blank keystroke I trigger an
    > > assertion
    > > > !!
    > >
    > > Here is your problem:
    > > DEBUG: Building XAP_EncodingManager
    > > DEBUG: This iconv does not support UCS-2BE!
    > > DEBUG: This iconv does not support UCS-2LE!
    > >
    > > AIX's iconv does not support UCS-2BE or UCS-2LE
    > > which are needed. I think only one of them is
    > > absolutely needed. Can you find the documentation
    > > for
    > > AIX's iconv and send the relevant excerpt to the
    > dev
    > > list for us to see if these encodings have
    > different
    > > aliases from those Abi currently supports?
    > > This should be fixable. Thanks for the log!
    >
    > Further to this I've tried searching IBM's site
    > for
    > info on its iconv() implementation in AIX but
    > can't
    > find anything useful.
    > We have this code in EncodingManager.cpp:
    > iconv_handle_N2U =

    UT_iconv_open("UCS-2",that->getNativeEncodingName());
    > iconv_handle_U2N =

    UT_iconv_open(that->getNativeEncodingName(),"UCS-2");
    > iconv_handle_Win2U =
    > UT_iconv_open("UCS-2",winencname);
    > iconv_handle_U2Win =
    > UT_iconv_open(winencname,"UCS-2");
    >
    > Which opens and iconv handle with the literal
    > string
    > "UCS-2" which any decent iconv() should support.
    > There are two possibilites:
    > 1) AIX supports UCS-2 but uses some other name such
    > as
    > "UNICODE" or "UCS2".
    > Solution: if you can find out which name
    > to use we can add aliases to the iconv sniffer and
    > add a method to EncodingManager to get the "real
    > name" for the encoding like we do for some other
    > encodings.
    >
    > 2) AIX doesn't support UCS-2 at all.
    > Solution: Always build on AIX with libiconv
    >
    > Please reply when you know the situation.

    Just found this at
    http://oss.software.ibm.com/glibctest/gettingstarted.htm
    which may be of help:
    First let's check a variety of character encoding
    supported by Glibc using the following command:

    $iconv --list

    This example displays the names of hundreds of
    character encodings.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com