Re: AIX running but ... libiconv isn't !

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 09:48:59 EDT

     --- Alberto 'JCN-9000' Varesio
    <A-Varesio@eads.matradatavision.com> wrote: > Hi guys,
    > you were right. The iconv routine set is not working
    > as expected.

    Bummer. No wonder Dom hates iconv so much.

    > AIX is not offering 'same codeset conversion', so
    > the various
    > initialization tests are all failing:
    > iconv_open( "UCS-2", "UCS-2" ) finds no converter
    > and returns
    > the -1 fail code. :( -- this is a noop conversion,
    > hence no conversion :)
    > Maybe there is a different way to test for an
    > encoding ...

    Well many encodings have had different names through
    the ages and we can mostly handle this as long as we
    know which name is the right one.

    For AIX it seems you can do this:
    ls -R /usr/lib/nls/loc/iconv
    (or -r, whichever means recursive)

    Please post the full results here.

    > Peer libiconv is not building correct libraries on
    > AIX, since AIX has
    > some weirdiness on shared libraries ... so i had to
    > manually compile
    > source code, hack the binaries and statically link
    > them to the program.

    Is this a known thing?! Have you discussed it on the
    libiconv mailing list if there is one and/or told
    the maintainer about it?

    > Now the program correctly handles kbd input and
    > displays my typed chars !!
    > It also handles fonts and scaling !!
    > Tis is not a solution for an AIX build, but it's
    > working ...

    YAY! (:

    > One passed, one new :
    >
    > No way to load a Word .doc file ...
    >
    > DEBUG: s_AskForPathname: frame 20163888, bSaveAs 0,
    > suggest=[]
    > DEBUG: fileOpen: loading
    > [/home/avaresio/Ponte_26.doc]
    > DEBUG: DOM: trying to load
    > /home/avaresio/Ponte_26.doc (0, 0)
    >
    > ** WARNING **: I won't mmap that file, using a
    > slower method
    >
    > DEBUG: DOM: pagesize: (landscape: 0) (width:
    > 8.268056) (height: 11.693056)
    > (paper-type: 0)
    > DEBUG: Oh no - we just segfaulted!

    Well I'll leave this one to the big boys...

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com