Re: commit: abi: UTF8String class

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 11:29:46 EDT

    Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com> wrote in
    news:20020420121925.91088.qmail@web9602.mail.yahoo.com:

    > This is one of the hazy areas and I'll attempt to explain it
    > but you're better off reading all the documentation you can
    > find at http://www.unicode.org

    I highly recommend the FAQs <URL:
    http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq/ >. Also read the official
    Unicode book (which is also available online) and the various
    technical reports.

    See also <URL: http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/ > which deals with
    Unicode on WWW, but is also highly relevant for AbiWord. Note the
    various 'MUST NOT' requirements, e.g.:

            [S] [I] Specifications and software MUST NOT assume a
            one-to-one mapping between character codes and units of
            displayed text.

    Also relevant is the 'Unicode in XML and other Markup Languages'
    documents <URL: http://www.w3.org/TR/unicode-xml/ >.

    --
    Karl Ove Hufthammer