Re: commit: abi: UTF8String class

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 22:56:53 EDT

     --- Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr@lazerware.com> wrote:
    > At 2:51 AM +0100 4/22/02, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
    > >The Gnome guys definitely want us to use Pango:
    >
    >http://news.gnome.org/gnome-news/1016233970/1016357145/1016387936/addPostingForm
    > >

    > Of course they do - but then what do we do for all
    > the other
    > platforms. Sure, we could do UniScribe on Windows

    Pango is cross-platform and AFAIK works on all of our
    platforms. It definitely works on Linux, Windows,
    and Mac. I'm not sure if it works on both OS9 and OSX
    and I'm even less sure if it works on BeOS and QNX.

    > and ATSUI for
    > MacOS - but that would be a nightmare to wrap in an
    > XP way!

    Pango *is* an xp wrapper for these! I didn't know
    this either. The Pango website doesn't seem to tell
    us this slightly important fact (:

    > It's a LOT easier to just go direct to FreeType and
    > use the
    > existing glyph shaper that you and Tomas have been
    > working on...

    I haven't worked on it but I would like to.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    <http://www.lazerware.com>

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com